WWW.KDTPOKER.COM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WWW.KDTPOKER.COM

Live poker players forum from www.KDTpoker.com poker league

2 posters

What to do after you figure out your opponent is on a draw.

What to do after you figure out your opponent is on a draw. Empty What to do after you figure out your opponent is on a draw.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:14 am

I was asked a great question this week by one of the Liverpool members which made me wonder whether there is a generic piece of advice to give him an answer.

I think its best to use my answer as a template when exploiting the drawing opponent. Adapt your own style around it.

The Question:

I'm quite good at recognizing when my opponent has a draw on the flop and he's willing to play it but I never know how to exploit this and extract maximum chips from the hand. It could be just inexperience but could you show me how you would recommend I play against a draw on the flop?

My answer:

'once you have figured out that your opponent is on a draw, half of your work is done, the second half is continuing to bet on the flop, (ALWAYS ELIMINATE POT ODDS) and increasingly on the turn to put your opponent into the following mindset: If I hit, I bet and if I miss, I fold. There is no question in their mind that you have bluffed them out with Jack high, lol'. I did it against this guy in Deeside, I'm BB with J8o, he limps, SB calls. flop 10, 7, 2 (2 diamonds), I bet 400 into 600 pot, limper calls, SB folds, turn blank (3), I bet 1000 into 1400 pot, he calls, river K no diamond, I bet 2000 into 3400 pot, he folds, I show the Bluff like I'm Mr Big Knob . Always remember your opponent can only have 3 hands, a made hand, a draw or nothing, & at the river there are only 2 hands.

Finally don't commit all of your or your opponents chips before the river, unless you have something that can win a showdown, you always need some bluffing chips, just incase! It does backfire, I bet into a guy last week (flop, turn & river) when I had a flush draw and a gutshot + overcard, and I put him on a draw aswell, on the river K hit (total miss), I bet, he raised, I folded, to be honest though he was an idiot, prob QK, on J94 flop, I had Q8s BB special!

I realise this is quite a random piece of poker advice but I thoght it may help one or two of you with quite a common play.

Last edited by bidthebrat on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
    philylad13
    philylad13

Male
    Number of posts : 5
    Type of Humour : See 1st answer
    Registration date : 2008-03-05

What to do after you figure out your opponent is on a draw. Empty Re: What to do after you figure out your opponent is on a draw.

Post by philylad13 Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:48 pm

Some sound advice, you're getting better.
    Thundercat
    Thundercat

Male
    Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2007-08-28

What to do after you figure out your opponent is on a draw. Empty Hey Tony

Post by Thundercat Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:32 pm

What do you do when you opponent has pocket aces and youve already pushed all your money into the centre?

What to do after you figure out your opponent is on a draw. Empty Re: What to do after you figure out your opponent is on a draw.

Post by Guest Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:58 am

Stand up and say "Nice Hand Mr Cat". You cant help walking into them now and again if your shortstack.

Oh how I am confident for the Team Event. My team captain is philylad13 who has replied on this forum. Your all in trouble when I unleash him on you.
    philylad13
    philylad13

Male
    Number of posts : 5
    Type of Humour : See 1st answer
    Registration date : 2008-03-05

Post by philylad13 Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:27 am

I tend not to put all my money in preflop, if I can help it. If you think you can outplay them most of the time, why go for a coinflip. If I think a guy can beat me 70% of the time, then risking a coinflip is the best way to go.

If the other guy turns over aces, I'll just apologise and say, 'that it isn't often I get to hand out a bad beat. now deal me a 3rd J dealer, lol'.

Philylad13.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content