WWW.KDTPOKER.COM

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WWW.KDTPOKER.COM

Live poker players forum from www.KDTpoker.com poker league

Suggested Starting Hands For Beginners

Suggested Starting Hands For Beginners Empty Suggested Starting Hands For Beginners

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:30 pm

For those of you who have read my featured article "Why Starting Hands Are So Important", here is my list of recommended starting hands or the hole cards that I suggest any amateur poker player sticks to whilst learning the game.

You may have watched episodes of professional poker games on the telly and seen hero's such as Gus Hansen, Phil Ivey, Ram Vaswani etc. playing and winning with starting hands like 9,7 off, 3,5 suit, 8,6s. Those players play those hands not because they are lucky, but because they know exactly when and how to play to advanced poker strategy, taking into account mutual outs, pot odds, implied odds, impossible "put-ons" and advanced game theory.

At no point should you try to copy professional plays on an amateur stage. It doesn't work. Radical precocious play will only damage your stack and reduce your chances of winning.

Trying to "get funky" and playing the rags (A,2-10) and connectors (3,4/10,9/6,7 etc) may also land you in trouble when you're still learning the game. I will teach you how and when to use these and other types of hands in later articles.

Going into a flop with big aces, pairs and high connectors is the way forward and by far the best advice for any amateur player who is looking to make a profit in low-stakes poker. The progression of your game will build from this rock solid basic strategy even if you develop a loose style later.

Recommended Starting Hands for No-limit Hold'em.

AA
    KK
    QQ
    AKs
    JJ
    AKo
    AQs
    AQo
    AJs
    KQs
    KQo
    ----
    33 Don't get too committed with the lower pairs. I will explain a future article.

The above list is my best 20 hands from the 169 possible poker starting hands. And therefore constitutes over 14% of statistically better starting hands.

On a 10 handed poker table you should look to play around 1 hand in every 10 on average. Playing only the top 16 starting hands and occasionally calling small with 44 33 and 22.

I also break the top 20 starting hands down into groups. This gives you guidelines of how to bet/call/fold with the different hands.

Groups of hands

Group 1

AA
    KK
    QQ
    AKs

UN-RAISED POT = You should raise

RAISED POT = You should re-raise

ALL IN = Call/Re-raise

Group 2

JJ
    AKo
    AQs

UN-RAISED POT = Raise

RAISED POT = Re-raise

ALL IN = Call most of the time occasionally fold 1010 and JJ

Group 3

AQo
    AJs

UN-RAISED POT = Raise

RAISED POT = Call

ALL IN = Fold most of the time

Group 4

KQs
    KQo

UN-RAISED POT = Call/sometimes bet

RAISED POT = Mostly Call small raises/Fold to large raises

ALL IN = Fold

Group 5

----

UN-RAISED POT = Call blinds

RAISED POT = With 66 55 call small raises as long as there are 2 or more players already in the hand. Fold to big raises

With 44/33/22 fold most of the time unless there are 4 or more players in the hand

ALL IN = FOLD

If you follow this pattern of pre-flop plays, You should develop a "tight" style and I'll talk about that soon in a section of the next article.

Next Articles:-

Beginners poker strategy
    Position
    Tight, loose, passive and aggressive.
    Betting
    My take on live hold'em by bidthebrat

See you then

Thanks for reading

Brat

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:54 am